What is an OmaHeck...

It is likely you have never heard of an OmaHeck. We kind of made it up. Here's a little history:

When I moved to Utah in 1990, I was introduced to a brand new phrase: "Oh my heck!" I guess it means "wow", "no way", or "that's surprising." It serves as a multi-purpose expression and possibly a swear :-0 (as in "Oh my heck, you are a jerk!)

When the family left Utah and settled in Omaha, NE (2004), we became "OmaHecks."

Saturday, January 9, 2010

OmaHeck: Who Are You (and How Old)?

That's right, Who are you?
C'mon, sing with me:

Who are you?
Who, who, who, who?
...
I really wanna know (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)
Tell me, who are you? (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)


70's supergroup The Who will be playing halftime at the Buperbowl February 7, and this is cool if you are a fan of their music (count me in).

Since the advent of approximately one version of CSI for every dollar of US National Debt (currently surging past $13 Trillion, but I digress), songs by The Who appeal to a larger, and increasingly more diverse audience. Case in point: my MIL, who likes both Country and Western music genres, but little else, was excited to learn that you could find the CSI theme songs on iTunes, and was impressed that they were already on wife's iPod.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that Les Moonves and company along with the Superbowl production team has chosen Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend, etc. to entertain us during breaks in watching the halftime commercials.

But let's be honest with ourselves at the same time. Since Janet Jackson's *ahem* incident, folks have been leery about what happens on live TV. And that means The Who has entered a special class: groups our parents wouldn't let us listen to on an album in our rooms, that their peers will now expose your children to on Live TV. Translation: they are SAFE.

No one wants an FCC fine, no one wants bad publicity. Nothing's gonna happen.

So here's a most compelling consideration: what if the Cincinnati Bengals make the Superbowl? I think having The Who play a Cincinnati festival would be just too much... at least it isn't in Cincinnati. So here's to the J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets.

No comments: