What is an OmaHeck...

It is likely you have never heard of an OmaHeck. We kind of made it up. Here's a little history:

When I moved to Utah in 1990, I was introduced to a brand new phrase: "Oh my heck!" I guess it means "wow", "no way", or "that's surprising." It serves as a multi-purpose expression and possibly a swear :-0 (as in "Oh my heck, you are a jerk!)

When the family left Utah and settled in Omaha, NE (2004), we became "OmaHecks."

Sunday, August 21, 2011

T-Shirts and Stickers and Buttons and Such...

Cyndie was looking for some diabetes awareness material the other such merchandise and came across www.cafepress.com, a site with all kinds of schwag for diabetes, autism and other conditions.

Some choice excerpts from the site:
  • WARNING! Tendency to be brutally honest. Strong Opinions and Passion may Offend.
  • Keep Staring! It may cure my autism. Then we can work on YOUR social skills.
  • Eye Contact Is Overrated.
  • Cure Neurotypicals Now!
  • Fingertips of Steel.
  • Type 1: The Real Diabetes
  • Unless Your Pancreas Doesn't Work, Stop Whining!
  • Yes, I am diabetic. Yes, I have tested. Yes, I know this is candy. Yes, I can eat it. Yes, I even took a shot. BACK OFF!
I read an article a year or so ago stating that women's groups were choosing more crass names as monikers for their Susan G. Komen and other Breast Cancer Awareness/Cure fundraising teams. As a general rule, I see more and more advocacy groups doing the same.

The rationale, as I understand it, is that the crassness creates a "tougher than the disease" mentality. Not sure if the tougher than you persona actually does anything, but it does make for some funny shirts. And some laughs when you might otherwise cry.

3 comments:

Sandie Husker said...

I like the brutally honest quote....I would wear one of those.

How are you all doing? Is there any future plans for coming back to Omaha?

Russ keeps thinking about starting a T Shirt company called "Gimp Gear"...only a quad could come up with this idea!

Becca said...

Yes, please. I"ll take one of each. But the "social skills" is my favorite.

OmaHeck said...

Sandie - I LOVE the Gimp Gear concept. Tell Russ to run with it (no pun intended, in fact, that could be a corporate slogan, or the inaugural T!).