What is an OmaHeck...

It is likely you have never heard of an OmaHeck. We kind of made it up. Here's a little history:

When I moved to Utah in 1990, I was introduced to a brand new phrase: "Oh my heck!" I guess it means "wow", "no way", or "that's surprising." It serves as a multi-purpose expression and possibly a swear :-0 (as in "Oh my heck, you are a jerk!)

When the family left Utah and settled in Omaha, NE (2004), we became "OmaHecks."

Saturday, April 19, 2008

What Happens If That Runs Out?

Tate is an avid reader and loves to learn new things. He has discovered the world of minerals, plants and resources.

Whether through lessons in school, or his own reading regimen (we truly aren't sure), he has become concerned about depleted resources and species of plants--and animals, for that matter--becoming extinct.

The "perseveration" aspect of Autism comes in to play here as Cyndie and I get to answer the same questions about non-renewable resources running out, so we can't have gas, electricity or other items he considers critical.

Daily, he includes in his prayers a plea to Father in Heaven that "non-renewable resources won't run out, and that endangered species will not become extinct." It is quite a show of faith. Recently, we were talking and I could tell he was in a bit of a funk. It's often hard to get him to open up about emotions, but I probed a little and he told me how concerned he was about non-renewable resources going away (he had asked me not to stop for gas only a few days earlier when we were out together for some one-on-one time).

I wasn't sure what more I could tell him, so I went to a higher source. I shared with him what a college professor used in a class as "The Lord's view of economics" (remember, I was an Econ major at BYU). The message comes from Doctrine & Covenants 104:13-18 and teaches us that the responsibility of those with resources have a responsibility to take care of those without. The Lord also teaches us in verse 17 that "the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare" for he "prepared all things". We talked about how we could waste and mis-use the things God has given us, but that if we take care of them, God will take care of us, and we should take care of each other. He chippered up, and though still concerned, he's pretty conviced that God will see us through. Good kid.

1 comment:

Ryan Anderson said...

I love the prayer for the security of "non-renewable resources"! Thanks for blogging your kids' famous one-liners...they crack me up. Cyndie, I keep meaning to call you, but I keep waiting till I have a good long time to sit and chat and that just doesn't seem to be happening these days. We used to be on the "six month plan" but that seems to be stretching out to the "one year plan". Hmmmm....I'm going to try to make that happen soon! --Andrea