What is an OmaHeck...

It is likely you have never heard of an OmaHeck. We kind of made it up. Here's a little history:

When I moved to Utah in 1990, I was introduced to a brand new phrase: "Oh my heck!" I guess it means "wow", "no way", or "that's surprising." It serves as a multi-purpose expression and possibly a swear :-0 (as in "Oh my heck, you are a jerk!)

When the family left Utah and settled in Omaha, NE (2004), we became "OmaHecks."

Sunday, December 6, 2009

OmaHeck: Midsummer Classic

In July, I was really fortunate to go to the Major League Baseball All-Star Game. It was in St Louis at the new Busch Stadium. What a great venue with fantastic views of the city! We hit the Home Run Derby, and then the Game the next evening.

President Obama attended the Game, and created a bit of a security issue as every attendee had to go through these airport-like security lines. It took us 2 hours. Inside there were snipers on the roof, Coast Guard at the portals and a general buzz about being in a venue with the President.

Hitting. Big Bombs... That's what the Home Run Derby is all about, friends. Here's home-town favorite Albert Pujols (Prince Fielder eventually won.) I was cheering for Minnesota Twins' Joe Mauer.
There was a lot of celebration. Fireworks, dancing, honoring volunteers, extremely cool Air Force flyovers, and a fair amount of eating great ballpark food!


Here's a shot of yours truly with the game in the background.

Here are things I learned at this event:
1) The grass is always greener on the Jumbo-Tron. Really, it's unnatural. I'll see if I can get some more pics shortly.
2) While the President has a gift for oratory, his delivery to the plate could use some work. He almost one-hopped the opening pitch, and would have if Pujols hadn't reached across the plate to scoop it up.
3) My 2x zoom camera is really outdated.




No comments: