What is an OmaHeck...

It is likely you have never heard of an OmaHeck. We kind of made it up. Here's a little history:

When I moved to Utah in 1990, I was introduced to a brand new phrase: "Oh my heck!" I guess it means "wow", "no way", or "that's surprising." It serves as a multi-purpose expression and possibly a swear :-0 (as in "Oh my heck, you are a jerk!)

When the family left Utah and settled in Omaha, NE (2004), we became "OmaHecks."

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Dane Seven, Ben 10


































Seven years ago, Dane joined us on a blustery -17 day in Minnesota. It wasn't quite that cold this week in Omaha (between -4 and +10), but Dane still Rocked the house!

Tuesday we had his family party, with a small cake and a few presents. The hit was the Vilgax Battle Ship. Ben 10 is as cool as it gets.

Saturday, 6 friends from school came over for pizza, presents, and play. Dane had the best pok-e-ball cake in the history of mankind. His friends know him well and many brought excellent Ben 10 gifts. Wildvine, Heatblast (flashlight version), Heatblast (firebird version), Four Arms (Triceratops version) and a Wildmutt (Door hanger motion sensor version).

If the previous paragraph doesn't make sense to you, don't worry. Have you ever met a child learning a foreign language and heard them rattle off sounds they know without any understanding of the context or meaning? That's what I felt while writing it. Wednesday I took Dane to the pool for some one-on-one time and he wanted to play Ben 10. I had no idea what to do... even when he told me what character I was (apparently there is a Kevin 11).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to Dane!!!
I am so in the same boat as far as 'speaking' a different language! Ellie is obsessed with making up her own Pokemon, complete with unusual names, sounds and 'abilities.' I've just gotten used to saying things like, "Wow...that is very cool!" and "Interesting choice for a name!"

BTW...She LOVED the poke-ball cake! (how am I going to top that one guys???) :)

OmaHeck said...

SAS - this is one of the easiest cakes ever... regular round cakes, white icing, red sugar sprinkles on half, black writing gel in a tube, and a nilla wafer gave some 3-d qualities to the middle. Good luck!

Lizabeth said...

I had no idea what that cake was and right then Gabe walked in and said "Hey! A Pokeball Cake! I want one of those for my 7th Birthday!"

Thanks, alot, Cyn. Great site. We are glad to no longer have 1 to 4 church and are loving the 9 to 12 shift!